Friday, April 23, 2010

Breathe

Genesis 2:7 And the LORD God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul.

Job 12:10 In whose hand is the soul of every living thing, and the breath of all mankind.

Joh 27:3 All the while my breath is in me, and the spirit of God is in my nostrils; 27:4 My lips shall not speak wickedness, nor my tongue utter deceit.

Job 33:4 The spirit of God hath made me, and the breath of the Almighty hath given me life.37:3 And he said unto me, Son of man, can these bones live? And I answered, O Lord GOD, thou knowest.


Exekiel 37:4 Again he said unto me, Prophesy upon these bones, and say unto them, O ye dry bones, hear the word of the LORD.
37:5 Thus saith the Lord GOD unto these bones; Behold, I will cause breath to enter into you, and ye shall live:

Psalma 150:6 Let every thing that hath breath praise the LORD. Praise ye the LORD.


This may seem like a strange topic for my blog this morning at 3:00 am CST. But it is very much on my mind lately. The single biggest miracle for human kind is that God chose to breath the breath of life into our nostrils. For most of us we take Breathing for granted. I vow to be thankful for this gift each day, hour, minute, second and moment of my life.

I understand all to well what it is not to be able to take a breath. As most everyone know (how could you not know, I whine about it all the time) I have severe Myastenia Gravis that affects my respiratory muscles. It weakens them severe at times. Plus I have the double whammy, its called Asthma. I have allergic asthma, exercised induced asthma, every kind of asthma you can conceived I have.

This part may be boring but bare with me, I will get to my point. Breathing, or pulmonary ventilation, is the process of exchanging air between the atmosphere and the lungs, and includes inspiration (inhalation), and expiration (exhalation). An example, the lungs are like a container. By changing the size of the container, the pressure inside increases or decreases proportionally. During normal breathing, the diaphragm and external intercostal muscles contract to expand the lungs (our container), causing the pressure to decrease. When that pressure becomes lower than the atmospheric pressure, the air will move into the lungs (if you have ever siphoned gas its the same idea). As it moves into the lungs, it gets warmer, becomes moist, and expands.
During expiration (exhalation), the diaphragm and intercostal muscles relax, causing the cavity size to reduce, which causes the pressure to increase. When that pressure becomes greater than the atmospheric pressure (outside), the air is forced out of the lungs.

All of this is to say that breathing in is an active process, that requires strong muscles. When you breath in the chest expands and when you exhale it is suppose to be a passive process. So you are really suppose to work to breath in and rest to breath out. Neat concept, except for a Myasthenia Gravis and Asthma suffer. The Myasthenia keep me from have enough muscle strength to bring the air in to my lungs. And once the air is in the lungs I have expiratory asthma which is a fancy way to say all my bronchial tubes constrict and I have to physically ( with my muscles) push the air back out. That's what causes that lovely wheezing sound I have most of the time.

So I really believe I have a pretty good handle on how precious breath is for human life. At times the harder I try to breath, the weaker my muscles get and I end up sounding like a panting dog with short shallow breaths. No wonder, my brain doesn't work correctly most of the time, it is Oxygen deprived. (LOL) So are my other organs. But we compensate, that's another gift from God that I want get into today.

I have said all of this just to remind my self and anyone else who might read this, how precious the gift of breath that GOD him self breathed into our nostrils, it is there to sustain our lives. It is something when working correctly that we don't even think about. Sit very still for a few minutes and listen and feel your self breath. And thank GOD for each and every breath. I am going to finish when a poem that I don't know who wrote, but that I love, I have quoted it many times on face book. But I love it and would like to share it with you.




The Best Things






The best things are nearest;



breath in your nostrils, light in your eyes,



flowers at your feet, duties at your hand,



the path of Right just before you.



Do not grasp at the stars,



but do life's plain common work as it comes,



certain that daily duties and daily bread are the sweetest things in life.









Psalms 150:6 Let every thing that hath breath praise the LORD. Praise ye the LORD.

Love all y'all from the world of Lisa

No comments:

Post a Comment