Saturday, September 21, 2019

Joy on the Mountaintop vs.Sorrow in the Valley


I've been thinking. Yeah, I know that's a dangerous thing, but sometimes I just can't help myself. It is 3:47 am. I have been chocked full of steroids this week. Monday a big shot of steroids and antibiotics for a sinus infection I have and then steroids with my IVIG treatment. So, I haven't slept much this week. Steroid highs aren't very pleasant, but you do get to feel much better much quicker with the shot and the antibiotic shot. At 2:22 am I thought I'd take Toby for a walk outside. (yeah, I've lost my ever-loving mind). I was afraid I'd lose him, so we went with the collar and leash (yeah Toby was so excited to see those). Toby wasn't a bit impressed with the wet grass or being outside period at 2:22 am. So, our little walk didn't last very long. But, while we were out that minute and a half, I enjoyed the cool fresh air. And thought Justin's birthday was September 19th, so we will start getting some fall like weather before long. I breathed in the cool air of this wonderful Valley I live and Thanked God for letting this be the place he chose to let me live, my whole life. I have been truly Blessed.
I began to think about being Up on the Mountain and Down in the Valley, figuratively. That's how we refer to how our life is going. But I've been thinking about that mountain we climb with God. I think we spend about 10% of our time on top of the Mountain basking in the Joy and Peace of God with no problems, all tears wiped away, all problems solved. I think we spend about 10% of our time Down in the lowest part of the Valley in what we consider utter failure as a Christian, we whine, I don't have enough faith, or I've dug a hole so deep I'll never get out. There's just no way out of this situation. God has left me. Stop Right There!!!!!!!!
Who has left God? Oh yeah, that might be me, let me fall on my knees, let me fall on my face, and get humble and go to the ONLY place where there is help and cry out JESUS. 
Now I guess you're wondering about where that other 80% has gone. Well let's start with Down the Mountain first, where we spend 40% of our time. You're setting on top of the Mountain with Jesus and some tiny little thing comes along, and you think oh I can fix this myself no need to bother Jesus on this one, SLIP, feel the rocks start to crumble under your feet. But hey there's a tree limb to hang on to, you've got this. Then something else comes along like insurance matters, and you tell Jesus I've got this one. I've fought these people before I can do it again. They don't have any tricks that I haven't seen before. But wait a minute, I wasn't this sick last time I fought the insurance companies. BIG SLIP, SLIP. Oh, and I've just counted and have had 11 infections in the last 13 months. So, my body is just getting weaker. Do I call on Jesus, well he's pretty busy I'll talk to him about it in passing? I'm talking to Jesus every day. He knows my heart. So, what if I don't tell him the particulars of what I'm worried about. He knows already. SLIPPPPP, SLIPPPPP.  Workmen's Comp, Sick Husband, Your Children, Your Grandchildren, Your Parents, Your Bills, those crumbling rocks turn into a rockslide and before you know it, you’re in an all-out rockslide. And if you happen to catch something to hold to and it's not Jesus it's going to break away and you will fall on down into that Valley of Despair.
Now we've talked about How we get there. Now let's get out. 40% of our time I do believe it working to climb out of the Valley back Up to the Mountaintop. First, we must realize where we are and what Stupid things, we have done to get ourselves down in the Valley. Most of the time it's a control issue. I want to control my life. God made us this way. It's hard for us to give up our control and say, Jesus THY WILL BE DONE.  I've been wrong, I've sinned against you by thinking I didn't need you in EVERY aspect of my life, I'm tired of wallowing in this pit of mud and yuck of my own making. I know you are there waiting for me to wake up and know you are LORD. Then he will scoop us up and stand us up and hold our hand. But I don't think that he just lifts you back to the top of the mountain either. I think we must work on getting there the other 40%. Because who appreciates something they didn't work for in this life. We must prove we will turn to him for everything. And we will say the deepest desires of our hearts out loud to Jesus. Yes, he already knows, but you among us has had a child that has come to us wanting something but wouldn't say what. I knew it was gummies, but they wouldn't say they wanted a bag of gummies they just wanted something. I always say do you want a can of soup, NO, some tuna, NO, until they say gummies. No different with our Lord, and we better turn around and say Thank You or we might have a little SLIP. 
It would be wonderful to live on the Mountain Top 100% of the time. But we as humans, are so flawed and so imperfect, it just ain't going to happen. To my my goal would be to decrease my time falling and laying down there in that Valley. But that is all on me. I can't put the blame on anyone or anything else. It's just me. Climbing a Mountain is hard, but with the right equipment makes it much easier. If we Carry Jesus with us, The Word of God, We put on the Whole armor of God, and at times Be Still and Know He is God. The Climb to the top will even become an enjoyable task. And make that JOY on Top of the Mountain even Greater. Love, Y'all. Wherever you are on that Mountain, don't forget Jesus is right there with you, just call his name. Wherever you are on that Mountain, don't forget Jesus is right there with you, just call his name. It might just reverse your direction. Ya, never know.

No comments:

Post a Comment